Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Math, "Lake Placid (Live)" @ HeckYeahCoffeeHub




Mobile post sent by Math using Utterzreply-count Replies.  mp3


Yesterday I got a call from B-Thomp-Thomp, owner and resident of HECK YEAH, a coffee cooperative started on a whim when a Shaman's hand rubbed a clear little circle on a foggy window. He asked me if I would have any interest in playing a set before a guy named JasonCyman who is on tour in a car from Brookline, Manhattan, Corcoran, NY, USA played his stuff. Yes. Well, it took a few minutes of thinking, all I was doing at the time was sitting in a hammock reading "Animal Vegetable Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver. Its non-fiction so it won't spoil them mind, so go ahead and order a copy. Now. Really.

I needed new strings for my aix so I went to the Sam Ash music store. Now theres an experience. Its like a REI for musicians and it took me about 25 minutes to get in and buy one set of acoustic Dean Markley Alchemy's. Read the Alchemist , non fiction as well for your own life will intertwine with the book, and then you will understand why I had to have these strings and there were no other strings to buy at that point. Whatever.

I went and saw Charlotte's finest guitar tech and single-speed guru, the Biggest Werm, and we strung it and tuned it and then sat and played it front porch-style for a while until I realized that it was 45 minutes past when I was supposed to get to the coffee shop. When I arrived there was a fleet of Vespas parked afront the shop and plenty of folks milling about so I retuned my new strings and started playing about nine. The first song I played is one called "Lake Placid" that I wrote few weeks ago, and thats what you can hear today. I wish I would have recorded the next one too because DJ sat down on the drums and played some wonderful two-step beats behind some country goodness I've been working on and it was the first time anybody really got to hear it, including myself. I've been so in love with Honey lately that I had to write a song and sing about it. At one point I asked the crowd if they had any requests and I wasn't able to play a single one of them. Nice. Then I played "Tom Sawyer" by Rush and a few others and then Jason played. Skinny fella from Tupelo with soulful vibes who opened with "Let My People Go". Yeah, that was nice. His pitch was amazing and he reminded me of crickets in the night and lanterns, dusty moth wings and screen-door slams. Thanks Jason and good luck on your car journey of music.

Thanks to all who came out last night as well, especially L-Stem and Chasklebomb. I appreciated hearing a response to that which came out of my sloar plexus and throat.



No comments: